Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cutting on the Lines: Another Tip!

Teaching a child how to cut on the lines when cutting can be challenging. I posted about this in September and provided several suggestions.


Here is another idea to add to you teaching “toolbox” of ideas for cutting instruction.

Materials Needed:
Sturdy Plastic Canvas Needlepoint Sheets (found at craft stores or Amazon),
4 x 6 Index Cards or card stock paper- Much easier than paper to handle when cutting.
Black or bold colored marker
Paper Clips
 Use the marker to draw the cutting line on the index card. Begin with straight lines, then progress to curves and angles. Using the cutting line as a guide cut out two pieces of the plastic needlepoint sheet so that they are approximately ¼ to ½ inch from the cutting line. (See photos below)

Attach the canvas cut outs to the index card.
When holding the scissors, be sure that the child’s thumb is turned upward inside the loop and the middle finger should be inside the other loop. The index finger should be outside the loop serving as a “guide”.

Tell the child to "touch the black line with your scissors" and start cutting. Remind her to continue touching the line with her scissors while cutting. If she veers off of the line far enough, her scissors will bump the plastic, reminding her to get back on the lines. (See video)


Dear Readers, If you have found my blog to be helpful, please "like" my Facebook page and follow my blog...I'm trying to get my book published and this would be a great help! Thanks :) 


 

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I will try this with my students. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm an OT student and I hope you can help me. I'm trying to write an assignment and I'm struggling with terms with clinical reasoning. I understand 'clinical' reasoning is something in its own right but is it also an umbrella term for 'diagnostic' and ' narrative' reasoning too?
    Look forward to hearing for you

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your note. Have you already turned in your assignment?

      Delete