Thursday, January 19, 2012

Valentines for Veterans

A special education education class at one of the schools where I work came up with a wonderful project idea that I'd like to share with you. It's called "Valentines for Veterans!" The students are making these very special Valentines card for local veterans. Aren't they awesome? Of course, the OT in me loves all of the skills that were addressed as the students were working on the project. First of all, they worked on bilateral skills and hand strengthening when punching the stars in the blue construction paper.
They practiced cutting skills when cutting out the hearts as well as the stripes, and they worked on gluing skills, as you can see in the photo below. We practiced making glue "stripes" and glue "dots", as well as lining up the construction paper stripes on the glue line. (Great for visual-motor and perceptual skills!)
Aligning the stripes and using both hands together was somewhat challenging for some of the students, but everyone did a great job! The teacher and paraprofessionals in this class are always coming up with great project ideas like this. I'm so happy to have the opportunity to work with them!
Don't you think this Valentine is going to make a veteran somewhere very happy? :)
                                                                     I do!


Dear Readers, If you have found my blog to be helpful, please "like" my Facebook page and follow my blog...I'm trying to get my book published and this would be a great help! Thanks :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment