Monday, March 12, 2012

Special Kids Helping Special Kids

I'm really excited to tell you about a new project that I'm starting with my students. I'm calling it "Special Kids Helping Special Kids." Special education students will carry out this project with support from regular education peer tutors, classroom staff, and their OT (me!). With support, these special students will create therapeutic art projects that will help their motor skills and provide tactile, visual, sensory, & social stimulation. The completed projects will be original multimedia paintings that the students will sell to raise money for St. Jude Children's Hospital. To pay for the art supplies needed for this project, I wrote a grant on Donor'sChoose.org. So guess what, I need your help! If you want to support this project (and have your donation matched!), click HERE. When you make your contribution, enter the match code BLOOM, and your donation will be doubled!!! I will be keeping my readers updated on how the project is going, and I may even sell some of the projects on my site! See below for some practice projects that my students have already completed.


My goals for the students are that they will gain functional skills that they can use for future employment, such as improved fine motor skills, artistic expression, counting money, interacting with typical peers, and using language. The regular education peer tutors will learn valuable life skills, such as patience, empathy, supportiveness, and understanding. Additionally, St. Jude will benefit from the money raised by the project! It's a win-win situation! :)

Donor's Choose: Special Kids Helping Special Kids

1 comment:

  1. What a great project! I will share this on my blog to help pass on the word!

    ReplyDelete