Thursday, November 15, 2012

Multi-Sensory Instruction for Handwriting: Stencils and Raised Letter Cards

Here is a simple way to make letter stencils and raised letter cards. All you will need are several sheets of craft foam, available at craft stores or on Amazon, a pair of scissors and card stock paper (old file folders also work well). Choose the letters for the stencils. A student that I have been working with is learning the capital letters L and F, so I made stencils/raised letter cards for those letters. 

Write the letter on the foam and cut it out. Take care to keep the letter “cut out” intact. To make your raised letter cards, just glue the “cut out” to a rectangular piece of card stock. (I like to laminate the card stock first). 

 First, have the child trace the raised letter card with their index finger. While tracing, pair the motion with verbal cues for forming the letter. The “Handwriting Without Tears” language is good. For example, for an F, say “long line down, top across, middle across.”

After several tracing trials, have the student write the letter using the stencil while verbally repeating “long line down, top across, middle across.” For tracing, the child can use a marker, crayon, or even a “squiggle” pen. You want it to be fun! 
 Finally, have the student write the letter without the stencil using the verbal prompts. Gradually fade your verbal prompting.

The great thing about these materials is that you can use them over and over again!

Dear Readers, If you have found my blog to be helpful, please "like" my Facebook page and follow my blog...I'm trying to get my book published and this would be a great help! Thanks :) 


3 comments:

  1. Creating that letter spelling cards are definitely a good part of playing for kids. Love this post. With the help of this post I will let my kid to see the material required to create such beautiful letter cards by his own hand. keep blogging more creative craft posts as like the calligraphy and graphology will do to make the fonts more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating that letter spelling cards are definitely a good part of playing for kids. Love this post. With the help of this post I will let my kid to see the material required to create such beautiful letter cards by his own hand. keep blogging more creative craft posts as like the Calligraphy and graphology will do to make the fonts more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us. sunny health and fitness pro indoor cycling bike

    ReplyDelete