Cord/String, Plastic straws, Lightweight pot for plant, Metal O-ring, Plant, Beads
Scissors and Measuring tape
1. Cut your straws to size: cut off the bendy end of the straw, then cut the longer portion that is left into four equal size lengths. You will need a total of sixteen pieces of straw this length. Cut the bendy end portion of the straw in half. We will need a total of four pieces of straw that length.
2. Cut four pieces of cord six feet long each
3. Loop all four pieces of cord through the o-ring so the o-ring is in the middle of the cords.
4. Tie a single knot in all four cords close to the o-ring. There will now be eight strands of cord hanging from the knotted o-ring.
5. About two feet from the knot, take two strands of cord that are close to each other and tie a knot. Repeat this step with the remaining strings. There will be four knots total with two cords each all knotted together the same distance from the top.
6. Take eight of the longer pieces of straw that we previously cut and slide them over each cord strand.
7. Now group the cords in four sets of two again, making sure that the cords are not grouped as they were before. Tie knots in these new four sets of two cords as close to the straws as possible.
8. Take eight of the longer pieces of straw that we previously cut and slide them over each cord strand.
9. Take the four sets of cords that are already grouped together and tie another knot in each set below the straws.
10. Now, take eight of the shorter pieces of straw that we previously cut and slide them over each cord strand.
11. Tie all eight of the cord strands together in one big knot close to the small straw pieces.
12. (Optional) Slide beads on each cord strand and tie a knot to secure the beads.
13. Cut all of the remaining hanging cords to the same length to make a tassel.
14. Place the potted plant inside the hanger. Hang using the o-ring.
The project above was completed by one of our Master's of Occupational Therapy students at
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center and posted with permission.